Princess Margaret Hospital
Asthma Liaison Nurse Service
The Asthma Liaison Nurse Service (ALNS) is run by clinical
nurses, who specialise in asthma care, management and education.
Services for Families
Services for Health Professionals
Asthma Care Resources
Services for Families
- Provides education on asthma and it's management to
children admitted to PMH with asthma and their families.
- Writes and explains Action Plans for children and their
families on how to manage exacerbations of asthma.
- Maintains contact and follows up children and their
families in outpatients clinic to provide further education
and support as necessary.
- Where necessary liaises with schools or childcare centres
to discuss appropriate management of a child's asthma
while in their care.
- Where necessary, liaises with other health providers
within the hospital or community to assist in meeting
the needs of a child with asthma and their family.
- Is available to telephone for any queries or concerns
from families regarding their child's asthma.
- Maintains a collection of written resources for families
wanting information about asthma or any related issues.
- Liaises with asthma educators from the Asthma Foundation
of Western Australia to organise additional follow up
education and services to families once discharged from
Services for Health Professionals in the Community
- Gives presentations/updates on paediatric asthma and
its management. Teleconferences can be arranged for regional
- Creates written resources on asthma, including the PMH
Asthma Action Plan. These resources are available on this
website for health professionals to use and give to clients.
- Acts as an expert resource on asthma for other health
professionals in the wider community
- Other health professionals can spend time with the asthma
nurse in order to learn about asthma care within the hospital
and our role.
- Precepts nursing students.
- Available for health professionals to phone for support
or information regarding issues on asthma.
||(08) 9340 8713
|| Princess Margaret Hospital for Children
Roberts Road Subiaco
||Phone 9340 8222, and ask for the asthma liaison nurse
to be paged.
Monday - Friday
9.00 am - 5.00 pm
No weekend or public holiday service.
As an inpatient at PMH
- A referral to the Asthma Liaison Nurse can be made by
your child’s medical team. The nurse can then see
you while your child is in hospital. Often the Asthma
Liaison Nurse will continue to see you at your child’s
medical follow up appointments in the outpatients department
As an outpatient at PMH
- Children already being seen in the Outpatients Department
at PMH can be referred by their specialist to see the
Asthma Liaison Nurse (if the specialist feels it is needed).
- For children who are not seen at PMH’s Outpatients
Department, a written referral from your GP needs to be
sent to PMH requesting an appointment with one of the
general or respiratory paediatricians to have your child’s
asthma reviewed. Once your child has been seen in the
outpatients clinic, your paediatrician may refer you to
the Asthma Liaison Nurse, who will then come to see you